World Vegetarian Day, October 1, is the annual kick-off of Vegetarian Awareness Month. Make a difference this October by informing others about the benefits of vegetarianism. You will be helping to create a better world because vegetarian diets have proven health benefits, save animals’ lives and help to preserve the Earth.
Activities you can do, alone or with a group!
• Wear informative vegetarian message T-shirts throughout the month
• Display World Vegetarian Day / Vegetarian Awareness Month posters at libraries, supermarkets, co-ops, health food stores, churches, art centers and other appropriate public areas
• Invite friends and family home for a celebration meal
• Ask libraries (public, college, high school, etc) to set-up a display of their vegetarian titles
• Encourage restaurants, co-ops, and health food stores to support and publicize their vegetarian options, including in their promotional flyers
• Host a screening of vegetarian and related documentaries or films for friends, and/or arrange to have them shown on public access TV
• Place an ad in newspapers and other local publications
• Host a potluck, picnic, or meal at a restaurant
• Write a letter to the editor announcing these occasions and tell about how vegetarianism has benefited you
• Solicit bookstores to set up a display of vegetarian cookbooks and to offer special discounts throughout the month
• Give an educational presentation for any group you are affiliated with
• Ask your city mayor or town supervisor to sign a World Vegetarian Day proclamation (Contact us for a sample)
• Deliver a vegetarian lunch to local officials (with media coverage, if possible) or to local radio talk show hosts
• Serve a meatless meal at area homeless shelters
• Leaflet at fairs, malls, or at other public events
Take the fun to schools, colleges and universities!
• Ask school officials (president, principal, superintendent) to sign a World
• Vegetarian Day proclamation. (Contact us for a sample)
• Place a notice in school newsletters and monthly calendars
• Ask your library to set up a display of their vegetarian titles
• Do food/cooking demonstrations or food samplings
• Ask your cafeteria to observe these occasions, and if they aren’t already, to serve meatless meals or a meat-free option
• Exhibit an educational display, posters or banner in high traffic public areas
• Have classroom or study group discussions
• Invite vegetarian spokespersons to address an assembly, workshops or other sessions
• Host public screenings of vegetarian and related documentaries or films
Non-vegetarians can also join in the celebration!
• Eat meat-free for the day or throughout the month
• Learn how a vegetarian diet can benefit you personally
• Try the meatless options available at local restaurants and eateries
• Discuss vegetarianism with your interested friends, family and co-workers
• Host a meatless meal or potluck for your friends
• Eat meatless meals on a regular basis
It’s easy to get involved. Display our free, colorful, informative poster in your community. You can post it at a local store, office, coffee shop, library, school or other suitable location. Use it as a great way to start a discussion about the benefits of vegetarianism with the people in your life.
Here’s our easy 4-step plan for getting the non-vegetarians in your life to take part in the Vegetarian Awareness Month pledge:
1) Let people know that October is Vegetarian Awareness Month and tell them why vegetarians everywhere are celebrating.
2) If you haven’t already, explain why vegetarianism is important to you. Tell them about the benefits of meat-free diets (it may help to have our printed pledge cards which list seven major reasons to choose a vegetarian diet).
3) Tell them if they go meat free this October (no meat, fish or fowl) that they could win up to $1,000!
4) Have people fill out the pledge cards and mail them to NAVS. To be entered in the contest, pledge cards must be postmarked no later than October 31.
Thank you! Your efforts will help people animals and the Earth.